Aquatic Therapy: exclusively at PT@acac in Charlottesville
Why Aquatic Therapy works – even when other forms of therapy may not
With some injuries or conditions, the simple fact that we live in a world where we contend with gravity makes successful treatment and pain relief difficult to achieve. The buoyancy of water – and in particular, warm salinated water – introduces a wide variety of treatment options.
- buoyancy of the water decreases the compression forces through the body, thus allowing increased movement with decreased pain
- water provides resistance to movement while also providing some support, allowing gentler strengthening than motion on land
- the hydrostatic pressure of water can help reduce swelling in the leg
- the warm water promotes muscle relaxation
When choosing a place to pursue a course of treatment, you may wonder: Is there anywhere I can try aquatic therapy?
In the Charlottesville area, Physical Therapy at acac is the only clinic that can offer you this option.
What conditions can be treated with aquatic physical therapy?
- rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis
- polymyalgia rhematica
- chronic back pain
- complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)
- joint disorders
- lower extremity stress fractures requiring limited weight bearing
- peripheral neuropathy
- neurological and motor control deficiencies (e.g. CP, post-CVA, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis)
- general deconditioning
acac Fitness & Wellness has two warm-water aquatic therapy facilities in Charlottesville
Facilities for aquatic therapy at acac Albemarle Square and acac Downtown include:
- therapy pools with temperature maintained at 94 degrees F, ideal for relaxation and soothing painful joints and muscles
- access to larger activity pools maintained at 85 degrees F for patients who do not tolerate the warmer water temperature
- pool depths from 3.5 feet to 7 feet with ample room for walking and other aquatic exercises
Call 434-817-7848 to schedule your appointment today.
See more at: acacpt.com