This mixture of barley and oats with nuts and raisins will keep you going in the morning. Serve with yogurt, milk, and fresh fruit as desired.
Makes: 24 servings (serving size: 1/3 cup)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 ½ cups regular oats
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 (7-ounce) package dried fruit, chopped (such as Sun-Maid brand)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine first 4 ingredients, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine oats, barley, walnuts, wheat germ, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Add syrup mixture; stir well to coat. Spread oat mixture evenly onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Stir in dried fruit. Cool completely.
- Note: Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories 185; Fat 5.8g (sat0.6g, mono 1.7g, poly 2.8); Protein 4.5g; Carbohydrate 31.3g; Cholesterol 0mg; Calcium 24 mg; Sodium 4 mg; Fiber 4 g.