Whole-Wheat Linguine with Cauliflower Puttanesca
Cauliflower is the new kale. Step out and try cauliflower in this new way.
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbsp. chopped black Kalamata olives
- 1 Tbsp. capers in vinegar, rinsed and drained (optional)*
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ lb. whole-wheat linguini
Heat oil in a deep saucepan on medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, with their liquid, using a wooden spoon to break them up. Add cauliflower and olives (and capers, if using). Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season sauce to taste with pepper. While sauce cooks, boil large pot of water, and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain in colander and divide pasta among 4 wide, shallow bowls. Top with sauce and serve.
*Note: To reduce capers’ sodium content, use capers preserved in vinegar, which contain less sodium than those in salt. Soak in water for 10 minutes, then rinse and drain before using
Nutrition information per serving: 314 calories, 8 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 55 g carbohydrate, 11 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 140 mg sodium.