Avocado Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies Recipe
These avocado oatmeal breakfast cookies make for a delicious on-the-go breakfast or substantial snack. Avocados aren’t just for guacamole anymore.
Makes: 24 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 ½ cups white whole-wheat flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt 1 ripe fresh avocado, pitted, peeled, and mashed
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups pitted and chopped dates (about 12 oz)
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 4 baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Cream together oil, avocado, and brown sugar in a large bowl; stir in yogurt and eggs. Add oat mixture to avocado mixture and stir until combined; stir in dates.
- Using a ¼-cup measure, transfer the mixture onto lined baking sheets, spacing the cookies 2 inches apart. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition information per serving: 160 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans), 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 25 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium.
Note: Toasted and chopped nuts, such as walnuts add a nice crunch and some healthy monounsaturated fats to this healthy cookie.
Source: Today’s Dietitian and Love One Today; www.avocadocentral.com