Apple Harvest Hand Pies
All the sweet, rich tastes of apple pie with less calories and fat!
Choose your favorite Granny Smith, Fuji, Jonagold, Winesap, or Rome varieties to bake-up these seasonal pies.
– 3 large baking apples (see above for options), cored and chopped
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– ¼ cup granulated sugar (may substitute maple syrup or other sweetener)
– 12 (7 inch square) egg roll wrappers
– ¼ cup butter or trans-fat-free margarine, melted
– 1 teaspoon cornstarch
– 2 teaspoons water
– 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
– 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
– Cooking oil spray
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with spray oil. Place chopped apples in a medium-size mixing bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice; toss together. Add the cinnamon and sugar and mix till evenly coated. On a clean, dry surface, lay out egg roll wrappers. Brush each one lightly with melted butter/margarine to within ½ inch of the sides. Spread a rounded ¼ cup of the apple mixture onto the buttered surface. Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Fold three sides of the wrapper around the filling, brushing the open top edge with the cornstarch mixture, and roll the filled wrapper to seal. Brush the tops of each hand pie with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until golden and crisp. Remove pies to a paper towel covered plate to partially cool before eating. Enjoy!
For more food and nutrition information, please contact Kris Bonham, RDN at firstname.lastname@example.org.