Fresh Tomato and Vegetable Pasta
Squeeze in some fresh vegetables to your favorite evening dish with this flavorful pasta recipe.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings (2cups each)
- 3 medium zucchini, washed and ends removed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. dried leaf basil, crushed
- ½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cups prepared pasta sauce (low sugar and no added fat)
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 8 oz. dried pasta, shape of choice (consider trying a multi-grain or white wheat version)
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley and/or basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Cut zucchini in quarters lengthwise and cut into ½ -inch pieces. Warm a large, deep skillet and add olive oil. Place zucchini, onion, garlic, dried basil, and pepper in skillet and sauté over MEDIUM heat until soft. Stir often.
2. Add prepared sauce, mix well, and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in ½ cup chopped tomatoes (reserving ½ cup) and allow to heat thoroughly.
3. In a separate pot, cook pasta as directed on package. Drain well and place in large serving bowl. Add sauce and mix gently. Top with the reserved ½ cup chopped tomatoes and chopped, fresh herbs. Serve hot.
Nutrition Information per serving (Optional ingredients are not included in the dietary analysis): Calories 350; Total fat 5g (Saturated Fat 0.5); Carbohydrates 60g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Dietary Fiber 7g; Sodium 370mg
For more food and nutrition information please contact Kris Bonham, RDN at firstname.lastname@example.org.