Canola oil cooking spray
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 large egg
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 large egg white
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
½ tsp. baking soda
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
½ tsp. ground ginger
1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin purée
¼ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
confectioners’ sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat 8-cup Bundt cake or tube pan liberally with cooking oil spray.
- In large mixing bowl, combine two flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Make a well in center and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg and egg white to combine. Add sugar and whisk until dissolved. Add buttermilk, sour cream, and pumpkin, whisking to combine all wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into center of bowl of dry ingredients and, using flexible spatula, mix until they are just combined and still slightly lumpy. Scoop batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake cake in center of oven for 70-75 minutes, until surface is browned and straw inserted into center comes out clean and nearly dry. Cracks on the surface are to be expected.
- Set baked cake on wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Run thin knife around center post and inside edge of pan. Set plate over pan and, holding in place, invert so cake drops onto plate. Cool completely.
- If desired, sprinkle cake lightly with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Nutrition information per serving: 170 calories, 2.5 g total fat (1 g sat fat), 33 g carbohydrate, 5 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 210 mg sodium. Equivalent portions: 2 grains and ½ fat serving. Source: American Institute for Cancer Research; aicr.org