It’s soup time. Whether or not you like chickpeas, you’ll enjoy this soup.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. minced fresh or ¼ tsp. dried rosemary
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 3 (15 ½ -ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ½ -ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp. (1 ½ ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the water and the next 5 ingredients (water through tomatoes) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place 2 cups of soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into a bowl. Repeat procedure with 2 cups soup. Return all pureed soup to pan. Stir in the vinegar, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Spoon 1 ½ cups soup into 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 1 tbsp. cheese.
Nutrition information per serving:
CALORIESs 373 (22% from fat); FAT 9.1g (sat 2.1 g, mono 4.5g, poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 15g; CARB 59.7 g; FIBER 11.4g; CHOL 5 mg; IRON 3.7mg; SODIUM 955mg; CALCIUM 197 mg