Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kebabs
These tender chicken kebabs can be tucked into a pita, served on a salad, or served as is. Here they are prepared in an oven, but they can be grilled as well.
Makes: 6 servings
1 cup Greek yogurt
¼ cup chopped fresh mint
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, minced
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
¾ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
4-6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch cubes
6 pita bread wrapped in aluminum foil
1 cup cleaned and chopped romaine lettuce
- Mix all ingredients except pita, chicken, and lettuce in a bowl and pour into a re-sealable bag. Add chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- If using wooden skewers then soak them in water before using.
- Set oven racks to middle and bottom third of oven. Preheat broiler on high.
- Take the chicken out of the bag and place on skewers about ½ inch apart. Set skewers on cooling rack on top of aluminum foil covered baking sheet (to minimize cleaning). Place baking sheet on middle oven rack and cook about 20-30 minutes until cooked through. Turn them at least once during cooking. Be careful not to overcook! For the last five minutes of cooking put the pita on the bottom rack to warm.
- Place the chicken into the pita and garnish with romaine lettuce. Serve with hummus, rice, or fresh tomato and cucumber slices, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 360 calories, 7 g total fat (1.5 g sat fat), 41 g carbohydrate, 34 g protein, 6 g dietary fiber, 620 mg sodium.
Equivalent to: 2 Grain, 4 Protein, 1 Vegetable
Source: American Institute for Cancer Research
For more food and nutrition information please contact our Nutrition Coach at email@example.com