by acac nutritionist Margaret Moses, MBA, RDN
Strawberries are naturally sweet and delicious! Stop by your local farmers market or grocery store to pick up a pack and enjoy.
Fun facts about strawberries:
– 1 small strawberry is only 2 calories; 1 medium strawberry is only 4 calories and 1 large strawberry is only 6 calories.
– Strawberries are a perfect low-calorie treat and a wonderful addition to any meal!
– Strawberries have significantly high amounts of phenolic flavonoid phyto-chemicals called anthocyanins and ellagic acid. Studies show that these berries may have potential health benefits against cancer, aging, inflammation, and neurological diseases.
– Strawberries are rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, as well as vitamin B, vitamin E, and a host of minerals.
– Peak season for strawberries is from April through June, but you can find them in stores all summer long!
Great ideas for strawberries:
– Add to smoothies, parfaits, or yogurt.
– Toss a few slices in your cereal, oatmeal, or on top of pancakes and waffles.
– Add to salads, ice cream, frozen desserts, pies, or cakes.
– Add to your beverage of choice for a little sweet strawberry twist.
– Create a strawberry sauce and use it to dip angel food cake slices and fruits.
Contact Margaret to learn more about healthy living at firstname.lastname@example.org.