It’s been over two months since I’ve posted here, and that has been largely intentional. Outside of continuing with some clients virtually through video calls (personal training workouts and health coaching sessions) and written workout programs, I’ve been trying my best to take space to sit with the discomfort I have with being unproductive. Some days have been busy and productive still when I’ve felt motivated and wanted that, some days have been mostly just fun being at home with my partner and dog more than we would ever get to in normal life before, and some days have been a lot of discomfort with trying to let go of shame and guilt surrounding doing nothing. I would like to think I’ve made progress in allowing a lack of productivity when it feels like I need rest, but a lot of the time it doesn’t feel like it. And maybe my attachment to feeling progress, even with this, shows an area I still have more work to do.
Regardless of if this time has been a time for you to dedicate to cultivating hobbies life normally doesn’t have time for, a time for rest and recovery, or a time when life has mostly gone on as normal while not even feeling remotely normal, I wanted to make a tentative step towards making more space on some days (while still trying to honor space for doing nothing on others) for spending some time on some small things that life sometimes feels too busy or overwhelming for for myself.View Blog
Bio & Schedule
Personal Training and Health Coaching Availability:
Monday | 7:00 am – 2:00 pm
Tuesday | 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Wednesday | 7:00 am – 1:00 pm
Thursday | 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Friday | 7:00 am – 1:00 pm
Saturday | by appointment only
Intuitive Eating and Intuitive Movement Workshops with Ellen Penn Berry & Pamela Finney
(a revamp/continuation of both the Live Your BeYOUtiful with Ellen and Pam & BeYOUtiful You with Ellen, Shannon, and Pam series)
Location: acac Albemarle Square conference room
Dates: Specified Saturdays, see link for full listing
Cost: $75 per session for both Members and Non-Members
Intuitive Eating: 6 Obstacles Keeping You from Feeling Your Best!
This 3-hour workshop focuses on what to do when you’re tired of dieting and want to be healthy. We cover the myths, mistakes, and misconceptions surrounding nutrition in our modern world. Come join us for activities, discussion, a supportive community, and a plan to truly enjoy food unencumbered by guilt. There are now over 100 research studies showing the benefits of Intuitive Eating including: improvements in metabolic markers, activity levels, eating behaviors, and psychological health.
Intuitive Movement: Finding the BEST (and actually enjoyable) exercise for you!
This 3-hour workshop focuses on finding an exercise routine built specifically for your body and mind. We cover the myths, mistakes, and misconceptions surrounding fitness in our modern world. Come join us for activities, movement, discussion, a supportive community, and a plan to truly enjoy your movement practice. Content is geared towards all bodies, both the overwhelmed new exerciser and the experienced exerciser not getting the results they want. Benefits of Intuitive Movement include reduced pain, increased energy, and improved psychological health.
Click here for more information.
Training and Coaching emphasis
- Workouts and coaching with a focus on building confidence, self-love, and self-efficacy for all ages/populations
- —Available for but NOT EXCLUSIVE to those with body image or disordered eating concerns
- —Utilizing concepts such as body-positivity, body-neutrality, and in accordance with the HAES (Healthy at Every Size) principles
- —Anti-diet approach to nutrition
- Strength training for outdoor athletes or those with an outdoor-centric lifestyle (hiking, running, cycling, canoeing, kayaking, etc.)
- Injury prevention or continued recovery through stretching, mobility, and stability work
- Work with older adults and the active aging population to maintain good movement mechanics for years to come, especially focusing on balance
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Certified Personal Trainer
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) Certified Health Coach
- M.S. in Nutrition & Physical Activity, James Madison University, Class of 2018
- B.A. in Kinesiology & Health Sciences and Gender, Sexuality, & Women’s Studies, The College of William & Mary, Class of 2016
- Certified Personal Trainer at acac since May 2016
- Graduate Assistant at the Morrison Bruce Center at James Madison University, October 2017-May 2018
- Certified Personal Trainer at The College of William & Mary Student Recreation Center, April 2015-May 2016