Whatever it is that you’re thinking about first or seeing on social media that’s labeled as self care, chances are it’s centered about beauty, either caring for yourself by beautifying yourself or caring for your self and home by tidying up.
Why is this? Why is our culture so focused on beauty and looks that we can’t even take care of ourself without thinking how it will look on social media?
I don’t have all the answers, but what I do know is that I’m making a conscious effort to be mindful of when my “self care” is centered around capitalist consumption and trying to mold myself to a socially acceptable standard of beauty.
I encourage you, if you take nothing else away from this post, make a list of all the things you currently do or think of as self care, and mark which ones are centered around beauty or consumption. Be mindful, and make sure the choices you make are for you, not how they will look to others.View Blog
Bio & Schedule
Monday | 7:00 am – 1:00 pm
Tuesday | 2:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Wednesday | 7:00 am – 1:00 pm
Thursday | 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Friday | by appointment only
Saturday | by appointment only
Small Group Training Sessions:
Live Your BeYOUtiful with Ellen and Pam (Perviously BeYOUtiful You with Ellen, Shannon, and Pam)
A quarterly (January-March, April-June, July-September, October-December) biweekly (Six 90-minute sessions in each 3-month period) group that combines health coaching with personal training to help you create positive health behaviors through intentional mindset shifts to love your body from the inside out.
- Workouts and coaching with a focus on confidence, self-love, and body positivity
- Injury prevention and “prehab” and/or post-rehab injury recovery, particularly for weightlifters and runners
- Strength training that fits with an outdoor lifestyle using little or no equipment (hiking, running, biking, kayaking, etc.)
- Corrective exercise techniques for experienced weightlifters
- Strength training for beginners
- Strength and balance training for active aging
- Core strengthening, balance, and stability work for all ages
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Certified Personal Trainer
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) Certified Health Coach
- M.S. in Nutrition & Physical Activity, James Madison University, Class of 2018
- B.A. in Kinesiology & Heath Sciences and Gender, Sexuality, & Women’s Studies, The College of William & Mary, Class of 2016
- Certified Personal Trainer at acac since May 2016
- Graduate Assistant at the Morrison Bruce Center at James Madison University, October 2017-May 2018
- Certified Personal Trainer at The College of William & Mary Student Recreation Center, April 2015-May 2016