5 Health Benefits of Sweat
As fitness lovers, we know that a good sweat means you got a great workout. But besides the proof of a great workout, can sweating be good for you? We investigated and the answer is … yes, absolutely! Not only does sweat regulate our internal temperature, there are several lesser known health benefits of getting your sweat on. Read below some of our favorite sweat discoveries!
- Fights Colds – Believe it or not, a great sweat session can help fight tuberculosis germs and other icky pathogens. Antimicrobial peptides in your sweat help surround and destroy pathogens. Saunas, steam rooms and steam showers are great places to visit if you feel a cold coming on.
- Heals Wounds – Similar to the above, sweat has incredible capabilities to heal surface wounds, cuts, abrasions, rashes and more. New research has discovered that our eccrine sweat glands may hold reserves of stem cells that can be used to aide in skin regeneration and wound healing.
- Lowers Risk of Kidney Stones – The salt released from your body when you sweat helps prevent excess sodium build up inside your kidneys, which can cause the painful stones. If you’re prone to kidney stones, regular exercise may be a great preventative option. People who sweat more also tend to drink more fluid, thereby keeping hydrated and further aiding in the prevention of kidney stones.
- Detoxifies – Sweat purges the body of toxins, drawing to the surface and then out all traces of your bad habits – like drinking alcohol, or eating salty food. Who knew the cure to your next hangover may be a great workout at the gym!
- Zaps Zits – Your pores open up when you sweat, allowing the buildup of debris, toxins and sebum to release beneath clogged pores.
If you’re ready to enjoy the health benefits that a good sweat session can provide, contact your local acac club to learn more about steam room, sauna, and of course exercise activities you can enjoy.