Don't Sweat the Heat- Keeping Your Workout Consistent Through the Summer
Five cool tips for hot summer days – and why I love them!
By acac Personal Trainer, Emma Langley
Hold off on the Pumpkin Spice everything and the Halloween planning for a few more weeks. The heat of the Summer is not quite behind us! Chances are you’ve changed your workout plan a little to accommodate for the season, so we’ve compiled a list of ways to keep going strong as the days of sweltering heat wind down. Here are five of my favorite ways to keep my training up.
- Swimming– This form of cardio is a great workout no matter the temperature outside, but there is something about the hot weather that makes it all the more refreshing to jump into those lap lanes. If you’re hesitant about getting started in the water, attend an aquatics group class!
- Sunrise spinning- Beat the heat and start your day off with a bang. I’m an avid cyclist, but you could swap spinning for yoga, running, walking, or anything that gets you moving! Getting a routine in before the temperatures reach their highest will be much more comfortable, and will allow you to train more effectively. Plus, this will help you get into a routine by the Fall so you can spend those breezy Fall mornings out on a trail.
- Strength training indoors- While the summer is a great time to be outdoors, be sure to keep up with your strength training at the gym. Not only will the air conditioned space make it easier to workout comfortably, it’s also all too easy to fall out of a routine when summer schedules are changing. Summer is also a great time to connect with a personal trainer to make sure you are working towards your goals! Can’t make it to the gym? Check out this great article, by the American College of Sports Medicine, on strength training moves that can be done in your own home.
- Try something new- Since you’ll probably be spending a little more time indoors, use this opportunity to go a little outside your comfort zone! Try a Zumba class or sign up for a yoga workshop. Or better yet, sign up for our Member/Guest challenge and bring a friend to get in on the fun! acac features a ton of fun events for the whole family each month, so you’re sure to find something that interests you.
- Recovery smoothies- A cold smoothie is the perfect end to a hard workout. Add protein, fruit, or anything that you’re in the mood for.