Hydration Tips and Summer Sips
Proper hydration is important year-round, but especially in the summer months with increased heat and activity.
- Always hydrate before you exercise.
- Water is the best form of hydration during exercise and in hot weather. Sports “replacement” drinks are only effective or necessary for endurance athletes – sugary drinks will not effectively hydrate you.
- Drink while exercising – if you are thirsty you are already becoming dehydrated.
- Your urine should be clear to pale. Dark yellow or orange urine is a danger sign.
- If you are not sweating in hot weather or during vigorous exercise then STOP and hydrate. You are in the early phase of heat exhaustion / heat stroke.
- Every pound of weight loss during exercise requires a minimum of 1 pint of water for replacement. Weigh yourself before and after vigorous exercise or exercise in the heat of the day.
. . .
Make hydration FUN with these drink recipes from Fitness Magazine or download our recipe cards below for a fresh take on a summertime sip.
Ginger-Mint Sparkling Water
This refreshing beverage is full of flavor and sparkle for minimal calories. For other flavor combinations try cucumber + mint, strawberry + cucumber, lemon + basil, raspberry + mint, strawberry + basil, or cucumber + lemon.
This fruity beverage will help you refresh and relax after a long day!
Fruit & Veggie Cooler
On the go? Add this tasty fruit + veggie concoction to your water bottle for a quick and easy sip.