Spice It Up
Originally Published: Mar 17, 2015
Cut the calories by increasing flavor with spices!
Vinegar and citrus juice give a wonderful acidic kick and help to reduce the amount of oil needed for many recipes. Don’t forget the zest in lemons and limes; it holds the flavor well and gives a bit of color.
Spices such as fresh-grated ginger and horseradish give an intense flavor boost that can help reduce the amount of salt needed.
- Here are some seasonings that pair well with different meats;
- Fish- lemongrass, marjoram, mint, dill, chives, thyme, paprika, red pepper, dry mustard powder, onion, saffron
- Beef- basil, cumin, curry, cayenne, bay leaf, garlic, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme
- Poultry- garlic, sage, rosemary, curry powder, marjoram, onion, tarragon, thyme
- Pork- caraway celery seed, cloves, fennel, ginger, dry mustard, paprika, sage
- Lamb- mint, cinnamon, oregano, sesame seed, garlic, rosemary, sage
- Eggs- chives, basil, curry powder peppers, parsley, tarragon